Santa Fe Century Coming Up

 Hello everyone - mostly Shawn, whom I believe I owe my yearly Society of Three Speed Dues to - I'm still out here.  I've just completely burned out on anything digital over the pandemic.  Typewriters, rotary phones, film cameras, three speed bicycles - these have been my solace as I've spent unending hours at home on Zoom.

Today, on a whim, I signed up for the Santa Fe Century, (which is actually a little over 106 miles).  I think there is a little over 5000 feet in climbing. The ride is this Sunday, October 10th.  (Normally in May, but the pandemic has everything turned around.)

I'm going to attempt it on the 1952 Raleigh.

I've done my own 70 mile ride on it with a section of dirt road in the middle.  I've done the 50 mile route of the century, and, to my surprise, passed a few folks on their racing bikes.

If I can make it through the full 106 miles, I'll try to make time to report it, and post a few photographs, on this blog.

In the meantime, I hope everyone has weathered/is weathering, the pandemic.

Comments

  1. Hello!
    Yeah, it's probably time to renew your SoTS membership and get the swell new patch and pin!
    And if you are into doing things analog, there is still time for Three Speed October!

    Best,
    Shawn
    https://societyofthreespeeds.wordpress.com/

    PS- have you heard about the Bikes and Film Cameras Club?
    https://urbanadventureleague.wordpress.com/bikes-and-film-cameras-club/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plan is to get some cash from the ATM down in the Railyard before I start the ride on Sunday, and mail it in to the Society of Three Speeds - if I make it through the ride in one piece. I decided to look for some online inspiration this morning before starting work, so I did an internet search, (I'm using Neeva right now - no more Googling), for "Riding a Century on a Vintage Three Speed Raleigh." Nothing, honestly nothing, shows up, unless it's so far down in the results I don't see it. The Century is 106 miles, (plus another 8 or so from and back to my house). I figure if I can average 12 miles and hour, I can finish in 9 hours. the ride starts at 7:15, and they sweep the course at 5:30. That's not going to leave me a lot of time to stand around tossing trail mix into my gob at the rest stops. I'm hoping my pace will be a little bit better than 12 mph. Usually I proceed at a leisurely pace. I checked this morning's 9 mile ride to work, and my moving average was 7.9 mph. (It is uphill, and at one point very steeply uphill.) But I was stopped, at lights and to drop a letter to my son in the mailbox, for 13 minutes, bringing my overall average to 6.6 mph. We'll see on Sunday if I'm crazy. I don't think I am. A seventy mile ride on my own was fine, though I was a little knackered at the end.

      Delete
    2. Ride for the adventure, the fun, enjoyment etc. My advice (worth about 2 cents) is when it starts being a bicycle version of a painful zoom meeting, maybe it's time to head home?

      On another note, I had to replace the fork on my 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix which had the same issues, bought one from this guy "https://www.ebay.com/usr/maprise" he's honest...

      Delete
  2. I think that 3 speed of yours will do fine for 100miles. Its more the motor and gas tank issue. 12 mph is a very realistic figure for riding a 3 speed. The 5000' of climbing will be the make or break on keeping your average. Of course any bigger headwinds or tailwinds will impact your pace also. I'm looking forward to your Santa Fe 100 report.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts