Not a fiddly headset - a bent steerer


 The Raleigh somehow developed a bent steerer tube.  It's bending backwards, and, as you can see from the photo, it's rubbing on the bottom front of the tube.

I'm not sure how it bent.  I've been laboring under the impression that the old Raleighs were nearly indestructible - not that I've built a plywood ramp in front of my house and have been doing jumps with it.

That reminds me that one of my brothers did that.  I think it was David, though I was too young to remember this incident.  He built a ramp and then rode his bike at full speed over it, flew up into the air, carved what I can only imagine was a beautiful arc, landed vertically on his front wheel and slammed his face into the asphalt.

That's the kind of adventure you're missing kids, sitting their, staring at your Tik Tok and What Not.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to repair it.  I have an email in to my local bike builder, Charlie O'Leary.  Whether he's set up to straighten steerers is unknown to me, but I'll soon find out.

Comments

Popular Posts