Fiddly Headset

 Well, actually the headset is probably fine, but I've been obsessing over the adjustment for a couple of weeks - after completely ignoring it for a couple of years.

I can't say why I did it, but I was swinging the bars back and forth to make sure it wasn't binding.  It did feel a little tight when I swung it over to the left.  Since then, I've been loosening it and tightening it.  At one point, it feels a little tight.  Move it just a nudge, and you can see the play in the headset when you hold the front brake and rock the bike.  Move it back, and it binds a little bit.

I'll feel like I have it just right, but then I'll look down, and the headlight won't be quite straight.  Moving the headlight changes the adjustment slightly.

I'm trying to reach a leave-well-enough-alone point.  A little loose? A little tight?  Usually a little loose is the way to go, but I'm not sure if that applies to headsets.

By the way, on the first day of October, I'm afraid I didn't do my usual ride on a three speed.  I started off on the old Raleigh, but my lights weren't working.  I curved back to the house and grabbed the Rivendell.  Once I got back home, I found the loose wire - no big deal.  I'll be back on the Old Raleigh tomorrow for my week 2 of Three Speed October.

Comments

Popular Posts