Three Speed October

Three Speed October is upon us, and I wanted to bring it to the attention of anyone who happens upon this blog this month.


Shawn has set a fairly straightforward set of rules:

  1. Ride a three speed bicycle
  2. Three times a week
  3. At least three miles (5 km) each trip
  4. For at least three weeks during the duration of the challenge
  5. During a five-week period that centers around the month of October
Which I copied and pasted directly from Shawn's website, hence the background color.

I've gone back and forth about whether I would sign up or not.  I keep leaning toward not for two reasons.

One, I almost always commute to work, every day, and since I switched up the happy little single speed to the happy little three speed, I've done that ride almost exlusively on three speed bicycles, though occasionally I'll pull the touring bike down and ride it.  If you throw in all the riding I do for grocery shopping, I cover about 70 - 80 miles by three speed a week.  (This past week, the old Raleigh as developed some rattling and rubbing noises.  I think they might be coming from the sheet metal pieces that slide in on either side of the rear sprocket, but I'm still working on it.)

So, it's not so much a challenge, but a matter of documenting my riding, and I'm feeling too lazy to do that.  Still, it's a sweet patch that's being offered.

Two, I've been short-handed at work and doing the work of two people for the past couple of months.  Let's face it - I'm just a little bit tired and don't feel up to taking photographs and writing blog posts.

The weather in New Mexico is finally beginning to cool off.  The aspens and the cottonwoods are just beginning to change, and it's a lovely time of year.

I also helped a co-worker get his 1963 Raleigh back on the road, so there's at least one other old three speed being ridden around Santa Fe.

I wish everyone on the challenge fine riding.  Enjoy yourselves out there!

Comments

Popular Posts