Preparing for a Three Speed Overnight

I think the big question is - is there a weight limit to those old tubular steel racks?

I never feel like I have a lot of stuff - I never take a tent, for example - but once you start putting everything into a backpack, or panniers, it adds up.

The vintage Primus stoves on Ebay are wicked expensive, at least to my sense of appropriate pricing, not to mention that there is nary a Terry stove clip to be had anywhere.  I'm going to have to take my trusty old SVEA 123 Climber, that I've been backpacking with forever. 

I was going to pack one of my Bialetti pots for coffee outside, but old backpacking habits prevailed, and I have a ziploc of instant coffee - not as elegant, but it will still be outside.

There's not likely to be water where I'm headed, so I have two quarts packed back there, and I think I will actually take a couple of quarts in a backpack.  I have some dehydrated chili-mac that is leftover from a backpacking trip though the Royal Arch Gorge in the Grand Canyon.  (We came within spitting distance of the arch but couldn't reach it because of the climbing needed to go the last few hundred yards.  A long hot slog but no arch in sight.)  I have some granola for the morning.  I expect to be back home by mid-morning for some more coffee and the Sunday New York Times.

I made an ultralight sleeping quilt a few years ago - that's stuffed into the Carradice.  And yes, I bought a Gentleman Cyclist tea mug and buckled it on, as it seems I am supposed to do.

Those are a couple of Eclipse panniers that we found at the thrift store years ago.  They have straps that snap, rather than clips, so they fit on the fat rails of the rack.  Not really three-speed style, but definitely functional.

My plan is still to head down Old Santa Fe Trail through Canada de los Alamos, and head up Forest Road 79 that runs up above Apache Canyon, behind Atalaya and near Shaggy Peak.  There's one hill I may have to walk.  We'll see tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts