One Step Closer

I'm still waiting for it to warm up enough to finish doing the spray paint touchup on the frame, but as of this morning, I'm one step closer on the '52 Raleigh.  To solve the short in the Dynohub's armature, I bought a '55 front dynohub off ebay for $22.50.  I can tell you now, yes, the dynohubs are interchangeable.

The one I purchased had a few dents, and when I spun the wheel, the dents were causing it to bind slightly in a couple of places.  "Leave well enough alone," you might say.  Unfortunately, that's not one of the traits I have developed as well as I might like.  This morning, I removed the outer shell from the old dynohub, which required some WD-40 and a great deal of patient tugging, and switched it out with the new dynohub.  It turns out that raised lip around the edge near the armature, is a channel that a raised lip in the armature fits into, forming something of a seal.  I thought about trying to fit some grease in there, but I couldn't find a reference that said that was a good idea, and since those pieces seem to get separated about once every seventy years, I thought I best leave it along.  A dent in the channel of the Ebay hub was what was causing the binding.

It now spins just like it should and generates electricity just like it should.  The new internals where much cleaner with less rust and general gunk, so it seems a good deal all around.

So, two new wheels built; Dynohub problem cured; Schwalbe Marathons in place.

Comments

Popular Posts