1952 Sturmey Archer AG Hub - Mixed Progress

I was able to get the armature fixed in place on this hub, and it will power up some LED lights just fine, so lights will be on order for the Raleigh, if I can fix the shifting problem.  There just does not appear to be any second gear.  I have fiddled with the adjustment of the cable back and forth for more hours tonight than I care to consider.  Occasionally, I would think I had it, but I would end up with 1st, 1st, and 3rd; or 1st, 3rd, and 3rd.  There just does not seem to be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.  I even tried spraying some WD-40 in there, in spite of my feeling that WD-40 is a shortcut that probably has negative unintended consequences.  (It's uninformed paranoia.  WD-40 is probably fine).

I was trying to get the hub apart tonight - in spite of my intention to wait until the weekend and had more time - but the nuts on the back of the magnet fixing screws, (those four screws you can see around the silver part of the hub) are tiny.  I think they may be 3 or 4 mm.  I've ordered a nut driver set of tiny sizes.  Hopefully one of them will fit.

Sheldon's instructions for disassembling the hub has you removing the armature first.  It seems like you should be able to remove the gears from the drive side, but, particularly given that I don't know what I'm doing beyond the instructions I can find, I should stick with the instructions.  One thing I found out is you cannot unscrew the cone from the pictured side - the cone adjusting nut just tightens against the underside of the armature.

I admit that I bought the bike because I'm a sucker for a generator hub.  Thanks for pointing that out Shawn.  I thought the hub must have a brake when I saw the photos on Craigslist.  It's a stroke of luck that the generator works.

Now let's see if I can fix the gearing.

By the way, I found out that it is a 1952 Raleigh Superbe Sports Tourist.  There's a 1947 on the Online Bike Museum.  The regular Superbe of that era had rod brakes.

I really am just trying to get it into riding shape to use as another utility bike for around town.  Right?  OK, I probably will keep an eye out for a chaincase, and I'm going to add lights.  It definitely needs a new B-66.  I think the current saddle is beyond being drilled and laced. And I will probably try to tap all the dents out of the fender, and fill in the holes that are in the fender with some black silicone, or some bondo, or something.  I think, though, that I will stop well short of restoring it to the right paint and applying new decals.  I appreciate that sort of attention to detail, but that's another breed of person from me.  I'd like to be able to leave it locked up outside the movie theater without thinking it will be stolen the entire time.

Comments

Popular Posts